POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unrealistic metals : Re: Unrealistic metals Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Unrealistic metals
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 26 Dec 2003 16:39:17
Message: <3fecaa85$1@news.povray.org>

news:MPG.1a56abe37b4346cb98968d@news.povray.org...
> Most of the spacecraft now looks rather dark, even after I
> added several secondary lightsources. Any suggestions ?

In addition to what Hugo said:

You need to define your lighting set-up: is it solar light only or a
combination or solar light and planetary radiance? Don't forget that lights
can be > 1 and in fact it's rather recommended in this sort of scene if you
want to have sharp contrasts. Radiosity can help a lot there. I did once a
rendering of the ISS that way
(http://www.oyonale.com/iss/english/museum_08.htm), The model isn't mine and
the pic could be much better (just to a few hours to set up, it was mostly a

for altitude and earth size. I based it on reference images for the
materials but didn't try too hard (I should have coded the model myself for
that).

And do you want it to be pretty (sci-fi like, with lots of secondary lights,
even if they do not make sense in deep space) or just realistic (all parts
not lit by the sun or a planet should be black) ? Artistic renderings of
spacecraft are rarely realistic in terms of lighting: see
http://icb.nasa.gov/cassini.gif : most of the light comes right from the
artist's mind...

G.

--